Lockport United Church of Christ
Our Path to Consolidation
October 22, 2000 -- The congregations of Plymouth UCC and St. Peter's UCC each
vote to consolidate with one another.
January 7, 2001 -- Plymouth and St. Peter's begin worshiping together on a permanent
basis at Plymouth.
January 21, 2001 -- "Lockport United Church of Christ" is chosen as the name for the
August 16, 2002 -- The New York State Supreme Court approves the incorporation of
the new church.
November 3, 2002 -- A worship service is held to dedicate the new church.
Participating in the service are dignitaries from the Western Area
and the New York Conference of the United Church of Christ, and
from the local community. Rev. Stephen A. Hall is installed as the
first pastor of Lockport United Church of Christ.
January 5, 2003 -- 157 Charter Members are accepted to form the congregation of the
August 16, 2017 -- Lockport UCC celebrated its 15th anniversary.
Lockport United Church of Christ was established on August 16, 2002. It grew out of the consolidation of Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ and St. Peter's United Church of Christ, each having a history of more than 150 years in Lockport.
Plymouth Congregational UCC
- 1838 -- The First Congregational Church was formed when a group of members left First Presbyterian Church over the issue of slavery.
- 1840 -- A house of worship was erected on the northwest corner of Niagara and Church Streets.
- 1844 -- The church name was changed to First Free Congregational Church to reflect the congregation's stance on slavery.
- 1854 -- A major fire sweeps through Lockport burning 20 buildings to the ground, First Free Congregational Church among them.
- 1857 -- A new structure is dedicated on the same site.
- 1890 -- East Avenue Congregational Church is formed by 36 members who left First Free because they would not sign a covenant prohibiting playing cards, dancing, and attending the theater. In August they purchases the Charlotte Cross home at 98 East Avenue.
- 1920-- East Avenue and First Free Churches merge to form Plymouth Congregational Church.
- 1926 -- Fire sweeps the east side of the building.
- 1942 -- The back of the church is destroyed by fire.
- 1945 -- Fire destroys the front half of the church.
- 1957 -- Plymouth affiliates with the United Church of Christ.
- 1988 -- Plymouth celebrates its 150th anniversary.
History of Our Predecessor Churches
St. Peter's UCC
- 1850's -- Early German settlers held religious services in their homes. Two of those homes have been identified. One belonged to John Sommer at 172 Erie St., and the other to David Shaffer at 124 Saxton St.
- 1861 -- On the day after Pentecost, a legally constituted Church Council was elected under the direction of Rev. Carl Siebenfpeiffer.
- 1861 -- The first pastor, Rev. Henry Lausterer, began serving the church.
- 1861 -- The church was incorporated under the name of The German United Protestant Church of Lockport.
- 1863 -- A new house of worship was dedicated on the northwest corner of South and Locust Streets.
- 1872 -- St. Peter's becomes affiliated with the German Evangelical Synod of North America.
- 1911 -- English replaces German, to a large degree, as the language spoken in the church.
- 1934 -- St. Peter's affiliates with the Evangelical and Reformed Church.
- 1957 -- St. Peter's affiliates with the United Church of Christ.
- 1961 -- St. Peter's celebrates its 100th year as a congregation.
- 1977 -- The former parsonage is renovated into classrooms and public meeting space. The renovation is dedicated in memory of Rev. Herbert L. Siegner, and the building is now known as the Siegner Center.
98 East Avenue, Lockport, NY 14094 / e: email@example.com / p: 716-433-2545